What is the Best PS4 Gaming Headset?
The console war is in full swing, as is the headset war. You’ve gone with the PS4 as your next-gen console of choice, now you need to find a headset that compliments your PS4.
Whether you’re a competitive online gamer looking for that extra advantage over your opposition with added awareness and communication capabilities, or you play solo games that you just want to get lost in. Whatever the case is, you’re going to need a good pair of cans to get the very best out of your chosen gaming experience.
Sony’s PS4 has one big advantage over the Xbox One headsets at the minute – the jack on the controller of the PS4 is standard, which means that basically any headset will work with the console.
We’ve done our research on the very best headsets for PS4, and without any further delay, let’s get right into it.
PS4 Gaming Headset Reviews
Best PS4 Headset Under $100 – Turtle Beach X12 (<$50)
The X12’s from Turtle Beach are the best that we’ve found for under $100 for any console. Period! Although Turtle Beach have gotten a bad rap in the past for producing low quality products, the X12 headset is definitely not one of them. Sure, it’s not up to the standard of some of the $150+ headsets, but this isn’t expected given the price.
The sound quality is surprisingly clear and crisp, and the build quality is up there with some of the headsets in the mid-price range.
Some of the things we noted about the X12 are:
- Surprising sound clarity, considering the price of the headset.
- The balance from all 3 sound frequencies is very good. The separate bass function is a good addition, and when turned to maximum, the treble and the middle don’t go missing either.
- The headset is of course stereo sound, but this doesn’t mean it’s no good for fps’s or the like. As sound can still be pinpointed fairly accurately. If you’re a competitive gamer then this is likely not what you want to hear, but if your a casual gamer who likes to experience all the sounds that the game designers intended, then it’s a winner.
- The headset isn’t wireless which isn’t a big issue considering the cable provided is considerably long at 16ft. This could cause issues if you plan on sitting close to the PS4, but you can pick up a shorter cable for a couple bucks anyway.
- As is common with many wired stereo headsets, the X12 is light as there’s no need for on-board batteries or extra drivers. It’s very comfortable to wear due to the lightweight construction.
All in all, the X12 is a great choice for you if you’re a casual gamer who enjoys playing the occasional FPS and you’re on a budget.
Best PS4 Gaming Headset Between $100-$200 – Tritton 720+ ($149.99)
Recently upgraded from the AX720, the 720+ headset has improved 7.1 surround sound, 50mm drivers in the earcups, and a stunning looking design.
Whilst this isn’t at the very top of what Tritton have to offer, with the Tritton Warhead for the Xbox 360 coming in at $180+, the 720+ will give you much better value for your money. The 720+ is available for around $150, and yes that’s still quite expensive, but when you factor in the audio quality and the wide range of device support it’s a no brainer.
As with all Tritton headsets, the strong angular designs, high quality tough plastic casing, and high contrasting colours all combine to set them apart from other headsets on the market. In this case, the 720+ is one of the better looking Tritton headsets, and the high gloss white finish gives it the added quality and gives the impression it’s more expensive than it actually is.
If you’re looking for a premium headset with quality sound and superior build quality, then the 720+ is something we recommend.
Best High End Gaming Headset for the PS4 $200+ – Astro Gaming A50 ($299.99)
The A50’s are Astro’s most prized offering. The name Astro has been synonymous with competitive gamers for the last few years. Their previous offering (A40s) were a huge success, the A50’s are proving to be even more sought after than their predecessor.
The wireless connection operates on KleerNet’s best 5.8GHz signal, which results in the most consistent and highest quality wireless audio experience, unrivalled by any other headset that we’ve tested. They’re certainly the best wireless headset for PS4, without a doubt!
The virtual 7.1 surround sound is the best we’ve ever tested. The sound is crystal clear and you’re able to pinpoint sound with unbelievable clarity.
The mic is also really clear, with no background noise affecting communication in game. You can also mute this by simply flipping up the mic boom.
You definitely get what you pay for with these, the build quality is excellent as you would expect.
If you have the budget and you’re looking for the finest high-end gaming headphones, then you should definitely consider purchasing a pair of these.